Situated at the top of a hill, St Andrew’s church casts its benevolent shadow over the village, and is the undisputed focal point of the whole community.
Like many village churches St Andrew’s has seen many alterations over the years. The earliest records point to a church being consecrated in July 1302 and a list of Rectors going back to 1317. By the mid-19th century the Church was in such a state of dilapidation that a faculty was obtained and in 1866 the building was rebuilt to the Tudor ground plan. The Churchyard was enlarged in 1910 and the handsome lychgate was installed in 1912.
Currently the parish is on the process of planning a re-ordering of the church to give toilet and kitchen facilities and to improve the baptistery area.
The Church has strong links with the village school and welcomes the children and their parents twice a term for services. The church holds its Mothering Sunday service in the school and the Rector visits the school weekly.
For further information on Okeford Fitzpaine village, please visit the Okeford Fitzpaine Parish website. There is also a village magazine, The Fippenny News, which has village news, events, Parish Council news and church rotas. Contact Derek Day on 01258 861979 on how to subscribe.
For the parish safeguarding policy and safeguarding officer contact details click here.